Updated: Jun 25, 2020
I would also like to emphasize the importance of Sleep for stress relief. So sleep well to feel less stressed and more refreshed.
We conduct sessions to help in sleep management. Contact if interested. Click here.
One cannot deny the presence of stress as a regular feature in our fast paced lives. The trick is to acknowledge its existence, face it with all our might and give it a fight or channelize it into a positive force that motivates us rather than demotivates us.
Thus it becomes very important to follow a diet rich in foods that boost the mood and reduce stress levels.
Certain foods have a stress relieving effect on our bodies and minds, which helps us ease our stress and reduce #anxiety levels.
In this article I list out 5 top stress busters which greatly help in alleviating stress levels. Each food has a specific constituent which contributes in this direction and if regularly included in the diet will certainly help individuals control stress in their lives and provide feeling of #wellbeing and #calm.
1. Walnuts - Since childhood we've been educated on the power of the walnut for the brain, since it resembles the structure of our brain. Science too supports this fact owing to the presence of #omega 3 fatty acids in walnuts which helps to reduce depression as well as contain #tryptophan, the amino acid required for boosting #serotonin "happy hormone" levels in the body. Thus contributing to stress relief.
2. Green Leafy Vegetables - A powerhouse of B vitamins especially folic acid, for stress relief, by aiding in the production of dopamine, another neurotransmitter connected with stress relief and reduction in depression. This is a very good reason to include these in our diets. #Spinach, kale, #mustard greens, #amaranth leaves, fenugreek leaves etc are all on the platter.
3. Green tea - #Greentea has been a popular oriental drink for centuries. It has also entered the Indian tea market and is here to stay. Two components of green tea are specially beneficial in stress relief polyphenols and L-theanine. Both have calming effects on stress and the individual.
4. Blueberries - #Blueberries are a powerhouse of #anthocyanins - antioxidants and #Vitamin C. It has been found beneficial in promoting brain function and lowering blood pressure - both providing stress relief. Vitamin C is specially important for boosting #immunity which in turn is lowered during stress and thus by improving it a feeling of wellbeing is provided.
5. Dark Chocolate - #Darkchocolate contains high amounts of #polyphenols from the cocoa beans which help in reducing #cortisol levels and providing stress relief. It is wise to include dark chocolate in the diet as a replacement for milk chocolates which provide too much sugar and calories to the body.
A diet rich in foods containing omega 3 fatty acids, tryptophan, antioxidants, flavonoids, polyphenols and B complex vitamins are especially beneficial in stress relief.
Change in mindset
Besides consuming a diet rich in beneficial foods it is also extremely important to take a break from negative thoughts and stress. Try #stressfasting and it will bring the realization that a day or few days without stress are a blessing which we all are capable to creating.